Affordable Care Act Resources
The Affordable Care Act aims to expand health coverage through a series of provisions that include:
- Individual Mandate: Mandates all Americans, with some exceptions, to maintain a minimum level of health coverage or face a tax.
- Insurance Exchanges: Creates health insurance Exchanges and provides premium tax credits to assist eligible individuals with the purchase of coverage.
- Medicaid Expansion: Allows state to expand Medicaid up to 138% of federal poverty level.
- Employer Mandate: Mandates employers with 50 or more full-time equivalents to offer coverage to full-time employees and their dependents (applicable only to children, not spouses) or pay taxes if an employee obtains Exchange coverage and a premium tax credit.
Explore links to the following organizations and discover a wealth of information that is relevant to arts organizations and independent artists:
Healthcare.gov, the comprehensive government website on the ACA, should be your first stop when researching your coverage options. The site offers information about Health Insurance Marketplaces and provides details on how to find the Marketplace in your home state.
- The IRS has launched a full-scale website in advance of ACA implementation, to serve as a resource for individual taxpayers and employers
- The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities offers information about health reform
- The Actors Fund has numerous resources explaining healthcare options and health insurance. Learn more about the Artists Health Insurance Resource Center (AHIRC) which provides more information about:
- Individual consultations
- Affordable Care Act FAQs
- Seminars, community outreach programs, and workshops about your healthcare options
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation offers multiple resources regarding the ACA, Health Insurance Exchanges in your State, and overviews of the current state of insured people in your region. Check out their Health Reform page for answers to questions such as:
- Frequently asked questions on health insurance
- Health insurance marketplace calculator
- Artists and the Affordable Care Act, a website created by a task force of musician and artist advocacy organizations, offers information such as:
- Artist-specific seminar and event information
- An artist-friendly hotline
- Frequently asked questions