FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 14, 2020
CONTACT: Johanna Tschebull
The dance field has joined the broader arts and nonprofit sectors in speaking up out of concern for their workforce in the wake of COVID-19 closures and concert cancellations. Early this morning, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bipartisan COVID-19 relief package that includes the following:
- Mandated emergency paid leave for employees for qualified sick leave, family and medical leave, and to care for a child whose school has closed;
- Refundable payroll tax credits for required emergency paid leave provided by employers with fewer than 500 employees (nonprofits are eligible for relief);
- Refundable individual tax credits for leave taken by self-employed workers for qualified sick leave, caring for a family member, or caring for a child whose school has closed;
- Emergency funding to states for unemployment compensation;
- Additional provisions related to nutrition assistance and cost-free COVID testing provisions for the uninsured.
This reader-friendly summary outlines more details about these provisions, and the fine print is in the full bill text.
Federal agencies will be required to swiftly issue guidance and regulations detailing plans for implementation, eligibility, exemptions, and record-keeping. The paid leave provisions will apply to leave taken beginning within 15 days of the bill being signed into law, starting on a date still to be identified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. The Senate is expected to take up the bill on Monday, March 16, and the White House has signaled support.
Dance/USA will provide a more detailed analysis of these provisions as additional information becomes available.
Thanks to everyone for your continued advocacy! Further relief packages are being created. We urge the dance community to continue communicating with Congress.
Dance/USA has provided a page of coronavirus resources with information and tools to help navigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We will add ongoing updates to this page, so please check back.
Dance/USA advocates on behalf of the dance field and relies on its member community to continue to represent artists, dance makers, and dance groups. Support dance advocacy by renewing your membership or becoming a new member today!
Thank you for your ongoing advocacy!
Propelled by our belief that dance can inspire a more just and humane world, Dance/USA will amplify the power of dance to inform and inspire a nation where creativity and the field thrive.
Dance/USA is the national service organization for the professional dance field. Established in 1982, Dance/USA champions an inclusive and equitable dance field by leading, convening, advocating, and supporting individuals and organizations. Dance/USA’s core programs are focused in the areas of engagement, advocacy, research, and preservation. Learn more about Dance/USA at danceusa.org.