Jobs in the Arts
Want to post a job announcement for your organization? Find out how.
Associate Director, Individual Giving
Organization: Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, Inc.
Location: New York, NY
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater is seeking a motivated and personable, professional team player to work in a fast-paced environment to manage the activities of the Ailey Partners, Ailey Friends, Young Patron’s Circle, Ailey Parents, and several affiliation groups. The candidate will report to the Senior Director of Development and will work closely with the Director of Major Gifts, Director of Special Events and Development Initiatives, Associate Director of Development Operations, and members of the Development and Marketing departments.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and inspire a team of individuals to successfully acquire and steward individual donors including members of the Ailey Partners, Ailey Friends, Young Patron’s Circle, and the Ailey School Parents Committee.
- As a front line fundraiser work directly with Ailey donors and prospects to grow the number of membership households and increase annual giving.
- Working closely with the Director of Major Gifts and the Senior Director of Development assist in developing a pipeline of prospects for the Artistic Director’s Circle and major giving opportunities. Participate in the development of long range development plans for individual giving.
- Actively collaborate with and support the efforts of the Director of Major Gifts, the Director of Special Events and the Senior Director of Development. Oversee patron services and supervise the Development Associate, Patron Relations to coordinate all requests for house seats and special tickets.
- Attend cultivation events.
- Supervise direct mail campaigns and online giving initiatives.
- Develop and promote highly visible donor recognition programs.
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Development Operations to ensure the highest standards and best practices in donor record management.
- Managerial level experience working with diverse fundraising campaigns such as: annual funds, membership programs, and/or affiliate groups.
- Experience with direct mail campaigns.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to work independently, work as a leader as well as a member of a team.
- Mature and highly organized, pays close attention to detail, ability to set and meet deadlines, and to “multi-task.”
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work flexible hours to participate in coverage of Ailey performances and special events.
- Experience with donor databases Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel; proficiency with email and the Internet.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, and five plus years of experience working in a multi-faceted fundraising office with a minimum of three years in a supervisory role. Preferably, the candidate will have experience working on membership and annual fund campaigns. Candidates with related experience in the areas of integrated marketing and loyalty campaigns will also be considered. Performing arts/dance background a plus
back to top
Organization: American Ballet Theatre
Job Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: January 1, 2014
Be a voice for the American Ballet Theatre (ABT)! DCM Inc. invites you on behalf of ABT to join its team of telephone representatives for the exciting 2014 season!
Do you want to share your love for the ballet? Do you enjoying talking on the phone? Are you articulate, friendly, and enthusiastic? Do you have sales experience? If this sounds like you, DCM Inc. and ABT would love to meet you!
DCM Inc. is currently hiring approx. 10 representatives for ABT's 2014 season. Telephone reps would work 20 hours per week (at minimum) with more hours available based on performance. There are afternoon (1:00-5:00PM) and evening 5:00-9:00PM) shifts 7 days a week.
The start date is immediate, and you are paid a base salary, commission, and bonuses. This position does not require cold calling; ABT provides all leads.
Interested? Contact Carol at 212.564.5396, and leave a voice mail if unable to answer. She will return your call ASAP!
back to top
Executive Assistant & Board Liaison
Organization: American Ballet Theatre
Job Location: New York, NY
American Ballet Theatre (ABT) seeks to hire an Executive Assistant & Board Liaison to provide administrative office support to ABT’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
This position interacts with board members, administrative staff, dancers, and donors as well as outside constituents, and acts as a resource/liaison between these groups and ABT’s CEO. The ideal candidate will possess a high level of professionalism, tact, and integrity due to the frequency of internal and external contacts and exposure to confidential information.
Essential Position Responsibilities:
- Manages communication, on behalf of the CEO, in a positive and effective manner requiring confidentiality and discretion with all levels of the organization including trustees, staff, and donors, regarding various ABT matters.
- Manages the CEO’s daily calendar of activities including scheduling appointments; processing all correspondence; establishing and maintaining record-keeping and filing systems; expense reports and arranging travel itineraries.
- Serves as primary contact for the Board of Governing Trustees.
- Responsible for all written and verbal communication supporting the Board leadership and all Board committees including preparing, distributing and maintaining all meeting agendas, minutes, and related materials.
- Provides administrative support to the CEO for all Board meetings and various initiatives including assembling and researching materials, and assisting in the preparation of reports and presentations.
- Serves as associate member of the senior management team, including scheduling and attending all weekly meetings.
- Works closely with the Development Department to coordinate Board level patron management, including governance, donations, and ticketing.
- Maintains appropriate internal rosters, directories, and manuals. Maintains and safeguards confidential records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communicates and presents information in a timely manner that is readily accessible and understandable by others.
- Outstanding organization skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet assigned deadlines is necessary.
- Excellent telephone manner and verbal skills are essential.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and diplomacy are critical.
- Ability to work in a fast spaced, dynamic environment.
- A passion for and knowledge of the performing arts a plus.
- Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work in a network PC and Mac environment and have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Office, and Windows.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is preferred, and a minimum two years in a clerical or administrative position with substantive responsibility required.
Interested candidates should email
their cover letter and resume with “Executive Assistant & Board Liaison” in the subject line.
No calls please. ABT apologizes in advance that they can only contact candidates moving forward in the search.
ABT is an EOE.back to top
Organization: Bowen McCauley Dance
Job Location: Arlington, VA
Bowen McCauley Dance (BMD) is seeking a dance instructor to facilitate classes for children grades 1st through 5th on Tuesdays from 3:45 - 4:45pm. Classes will be held at an elementary school in Arlington beginning January 14 though March 11. The dance instructor must follow BMD’s method and program for “Studio to the Stage!
” BMD is looking for a candidate who:
- Has several years of teaching experience in ballet, modern, and jazz;
- Is charismatic, and an energetic leader and instructor;
- Is organized and resourceful; and
- Holds a Bachelor’s in dance, and/or has a background in dance instruction, preferably one who has worked with children.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Ricki Marion
, executive director. Additional opportunities may arise.back to top
Artistic and Executive Director
Organization: Contemporary Dance Theater
Job Location: Cincinnati, OH
The Contemporary Dance Theater(CDT), a Cincinnati-based contemporary dance organization, seeks an Artistic and Executive Director (AED). The AED is the sole internal driver and external face of the organization, providing artistic vision and executive management, as well as performing CDT’s day-to-day operational needs.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership to CDT and translate that vision into measurable strategies and concrete actions that advance the mission
- Increase visibility of the organization and advocate for the mission of CDT
- Curate and produce CDT’s guest artist series
- Provide or otherwise support performance opportunities for local artists
- Be the sole executor of day-to-day business operations
- Develop and track budgets and manage finances to ensure fiscal responsibility and security
- Craft marketing strategy for all aspects of the organization and execute in all forums including advertising in print, electronic, social media, and web-based platforms
- Develop, augment, and expand key relationships and alliances with artists, sponsors, donors, partner organizations, and community leaders
- Secure funding through individual donors, foundation grants, and corporate sponsorships, while developing current supporter relationships
- Direct, manage, and improve CDT's College Hill Town Hall studio as a space for dance instruction, community engagement, and revenue-generating event space
- Work with visiting and local artists as well as community partners to create and execute meaningful education and outreach programs
- Develop community connections and strong public relations presence
- Engage in board development while reporting to and collaborating with Board of Directors
- Manage and recruit volunteer staff and interns
- Must have excellent knowledge of and connections in the fields of established and emerging modern dance and other contemporary dance forms
- The ability to present and produce performances of high artistic caliber and a thorough knowledge of stage production
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to work easily with diverse groups of people
- Collaborative, team-driven work ethic with proven ability to enlist others in organizational projects and events
- Superb administrative skills and non-profit management
- A proven track record of effective marketing and fundraising experience
- Technology skills including office platforms, website content management, social media and some graphic design
- A community-minded individual with a passion for diversity, education and outreach
Interested applicants should email their cover letter and resume to Board President Elizabeth L. Collins
. No phone calls, please.back to top
Assistant Professor in Dance
Organization: DeSales University
Job Location: Center Valley, PADeSales University’s Division of Performing Arts
seeks applications for a full-time, tenure track, Assistant Professor in Dance. Terminal degree and/or equivalent professional experience along with university teaching experience are required.
The successful candidate will be an artist/scholar with a strong research focus. Qualifications include the ability to teach all levels of ballet, pointe, and partnering techniques. Candidates must possess expertise in teaching at least two or more of the following areas: Laban movement analysis, dance kinesiology, dance history, dance pedagogy, dance on camera, research methods, modern, jazz, and tap. Responsibilities also include participation in and choreography for departmental concerts, student advising, fulfilling departmental and university service assignments while maintaining active professional creative work and/or research publication.
Position will commence August 2014 and is a nine-month appointment.
DeSales University is a Catholic liberal arts institution approximately one hour from Philadelphia and two hours from New York City. Please send letter of application, three letters of recommendation, curriculum vitae, and photocopies of transcripts to Tim Cowart, Chair of the Dance Department, Performing Arts Division, DeSales University, 2755 Station Ave., Center Valley, PA 18034.
Screening of applications begins November 1, 2013 and will continue until position is filled. EOEback to top
Assistant Professor in Dance History
Organization: Florida State University School of Dance
Job Location: Tallahassee, FLApplication Deadline: January 4, 2014
The Florida State University's School of Dance seeks to hire an Assistant Professor in dance history to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in a variety of historical periods and to pursue an active program of research in a related domain. Responsibilities include sharing the teaching of four BFA dance history courses and a variety of MFA and MA history and research courses. Approaches that link studio movement practices and historical and theoretical underpinnings will be given special consideration. Additional duties include mentoring student research and creative work; academic advising; service on appropriate school, college, and university committees; and student recruitment.
Qualified candidates will have a PhD degree or ABD status in dance or a related field. Candidates with an MFA degree or comparable professional experience and credentials will be considered if background and experience is especially well matched to the qualifications for the position. The anticipated salary will commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants must apply online
, and all applications should include:
back to top
- Letter indicating interest and outlining qualifications for the position;
- Statement of teaching philosophy and description of research interests;
- Curriculum vita;
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mails addresses of three professional references.
Director of Development
Organization: Jacob’s Pillow Dance
Job Location: Becket, MALois L. Lindauer Searches
is proud to partner with Jacob’s Pillow Dance in its search for a Director of Development to help take the organization to a new level of achievement. Called “the dance center of the nation” in 2014 the Pillow will celebrate its 82nd season as a renowned annual international Festival.
The Director of Development is responsible for creating a strategy and development plan to increase contributed revenue. S/he manages a department budget of $600,000 and a team of five. The Director, in collaboration with the team, will establish ambitious, yet achievable performance metrics that ensure the activities of the department meet both annual and long-range fund raising goals. S/he will ensure that processes and procedures that support achieving goals are clearly defined and reviewed regularly. This is an ideal position for an energetic, experienced development professional seeking a leadership role in one of the nation’s premiere arts organizations.
To apply or to refer candidates, please contact Zena Lum
, Search Director at Lois L. Lindauer Searches.back to top
Operations & Production Manager
Organization: Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival
Job Location: Becket, MA
Jacob's Pillow is now accepting applications for a Operations & Production Manager. This position reports directly to the Director of Operations & Production and is expected to be able to function independently on projects under his or her direct supervision as well as assist the Director of Operations & Production in the day-to-day operations of the department, maintaining a safe and healthy work environment, and assisting with the creation of production schedules and budgets.Click here
for a complete job description and instructions on how to apply. back to top
Organization: Kansas City Ballet
Job Location: Kansas City, MO
The School Director is a senior member of the artistic and administrative staff of the school who manages the department, faculty, and students. The School Director, in conjunction with the Artistic Director, determines, communicates, and enforces curriculum requirements; supervising teachers; and evaluating students. The School Director works with the Artistic Director of Kansas City Ballet to ensure shared, cohesive artistic vision between the School and Company.
To apply, please submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, five professional references who know you well personally and professionally via email.back to top
Part Time Faculty Member (Children and Elementary Programs)
Organization: Nashville Ballet
Job Location: Nashville, TN
The position of part-time faculty member will focus on implementing the artistic vision and curriculum standards set forth by the Artistic Director and School Dean. Their primary duties will consist of teaching and developing the students of School of Nashville Ballet. Part-time faculty members will also work closely with full-time faculty members in the development of School of Nashville Ballet's curriculum through constant communication. In addition, they will be expected to uphold Nashville Ballet’s reputation for artistic excellence and make regular and active contributions to a creative and enthusiastic working environment. Part-time faculty members will also be expected to adhere to the policies and procedures set forth by School of Nashville Ballet with regards to appearance, demeanor, work ethic, completion of time sheets, and important employment paperwork and maintaining a collegial atmosphere.
Click here for full job description and application instructions.back to top
Organization: New York University - Tisch School of the Arts
Job Location: New York, NY
New York University, Tisch School of the Arts' Department of Dance is searching to fill two faculty lines for the 2014/2015 academic year:
- Contemporary Technique/Composition and Improvisation
- Dance and New Media
Both positions require administrative and mentoring skills. For full information on each of these searches and for application guidelines, deadlines and other information, please click here.
NYU encourages applications from women and minorities.
back to top
Executive Assistant & Company Manager
Organization: Pennsylvania Ballet
Job Location: Philadelphia, PAApplication Deadline: December 12, 2013
Pennsylvania Ballet is currently seeking candidates for the position of Executive Assistant & Company Manager. The position provides critical administrative support to the Ballet’s Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, including strong writing and interpersonal skills, an interest in the performing arts, and the ability to work independently with little supervision. Experience working with touring logistics and artists’ contracts is preferred.
your qualifications, including cover letter and resume by the application deadline. Please include the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your e-mail.
No phone calls please.
back to top
Organization: Richmond Ballet
Job Location: Richmond, Virginia
Richmond Ballet is interviewing candidates for the position of Wardrobe Manager to coordinate the care, management, and organization of finished costumes during the dress rehearsal and performance period for the professional Company, School of Richmond Ballet, and Minds in Motion programs. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the management of costumes: storage, laundry, and repairs; supervising dressers during performances; maintaining supplies inventory; and organizing costumes for rentals. Some travel with the Company is required. While on tour, the Wardrobe Manager will be expected to maintain, alter, and launder all costumes as required.
If interested, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Sue McKinney.
back to top
Organization: Rockford Dance Company
Job Location: Rockford, IL
Application Deadline: December 15, 2013
Rockford Dance Company (RDC), celebrating its 40th season, is a not-for-profit organization that pursues excellence in the art of dance through performance, education, and outreach. RDC’s season features four established annual performances, including Fall 4 Dance (a repertory of new works), The Nutcracker, a Children’s Dance Theater production (designed for families with young children), and a spring performance. RDC is a resident company of the Coronado Performing Arts Center and a founding member of the Riverfront Museum Park. RDC has a school of 300 students managed by a School Director and has a vibrant outreach division which annually serves 6,000 participants in a number of different capacities.
Applicants for the Artistic Director position need a substantial background in performing arts, 5-10 years preferred, with a strong emphasis in ballet and a complementary background in education and non-profit experience. Expertise in working with and teaching youth is critical. Applicants should have thorough knowledge and experience in developing and staging full length and repertoire ballets. Strong communication and written skills are also necessary. The Artistic Director is solely responsible for providing leadership and direction in shaping the artistic goals, choreography, and purpose of the Company and School.
For a complete job description and further information on the RDC, visit the company's website. Cover letters, resumes and references should be submitted via email.
No telephone calls please.
back to top
Organization: Texas Ballet Theater
Job Location: Fort Worth, TX
Texas Ballet Theater (TBT) is seeking a Marketing Director.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Marketing Director is an action-oriented position responsible for all aspects of TBT’s marketing program. The position is charged with the development and implementation of short and long-term strategic marketing plans aimed at maximizing ticket sales and revenue as well as enhancing TBT’s brand and reputation through a variety of media, both traditional and new, including print and online publications, TV, and radio. The Marketing Director ensures long-term audience growth and serves as a member of the senior management team, advising other leaders regarding successful promotion to attract and retain audiences. This position is also responsible for planning, organizing, staffing, training, and managing all marketing functions.
Email a cover letter, resume, and list of references for consideration.back to top
Development Manager & Grant Writer
Organization: Tulsa Ballet
Job Location: Tulsa, OK
Tulsa Ballet seeks a fundraising professional to create and implement plans and strategies to achieve contributed revenue goals.
Duties include developing and implementing an annual fundraising plan focusing on grant writing for foundations and government agencies as well as corporate sponsorship proposals; annual fund gifts and renewals; donor relations; and prospect research.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years experience working in a not-for-profit fund development office that includes grant writing and the production of corporate sponsorship and philanthropic giving proposals. Excellent computer skills a must, specifically Microsoft Office Suite. Experience utilizing Raiser’s Edge or Tessitura software preferred. An appreciation of ballet or other dance forms and/or professional experience in the performing arts is strongly preferred. Successful candidates will have a proven and demonstrable track record of being able to work under pressure while managing multiple deadlines.
To apply, email your resume along with writing samples in MS Word or PDF format.
No phone calls please. EOE.
back to top
Assistant Professor for Contemporary Dance Composition
Organization: University of California – Riverside
Job Location: Riverside, CA
University of California at Riverside (UCR) invites applications for an Assistant Professor in Contemporary Dance Composition. Responsibilities include teaching composition and related courses at undergraduate and graduate levels; mentoring MFA projects; pursuing a professional choreographic agenda; participating in departmental activities and administrative service. The ideal candidate should have an MFA or MA preferred or professional equivalent; established record as choreographer and performer; college teaching experience; and interest in working in a diverse, multi-ethnic environment. Preference will be given to candidates who can teach from a range of contemporary dance forms and compositional strategies, including but not limited to culturally specific, traditional, site specific, multi-disciplinary, or digital.
The UCR Department of Dance offers a BA in Dance, an MFA in Experimental Choreography, and a PhD in Critical Dance Studies.
To apply, send a two page cover letter, CV, two sample syllabi, teaching evaluations if available, samples of candidate’s choreographic work, and three letters of recommendation is required. For specific application requirements and further information click here. The review of applications will begin on January 13, 2014 until the position is filled.
For questions, email Katrina Oskie.
back to top
Assistant Professor in Critical Dance Studies
Organization: University of California – Riverside
Job Location: Riverside, CA
Application Deadline: December 16, 2013
University of California at Riverside (UCR) invites applications for an Assistant Professor in Critical Dance Studies. We particularly welcome candidates who include ethnographic methodologies; colonial/postcolonial approaches; African/African American, Caribbean, Latino/a and Latino American, Indigenous, Middle-Eastern, or South/South East Asian and Diaspora studies; media, technology, and digital studies; and/or feminist theory and/or studies of sexuality in their teaching and scholarship. Responsibilities would include teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in dance studies; directing PhD. dissertations; advising students on a quarterly basis; performing committee service. The ideal candidate will have a PhD. in dance studies or related field; college teaching experience; interest in innovative course and program development; and interest in working in a diverse, multi-ethnic, international environment.
Interested applicants should submit a two page cover letter indicating current research interests, a CV, three letters of recommendation, one writing sample or article reprint, two sample course syllabi, and teaching evaluations if available. Applicants may be asked to provide additional materials. All materials must be uploaded using UCR’s on-line application system here.
To ensure full consideration, applications and supporting materials should be received by December 16, 2013. Contact Associate Professor Anthea Kraut, chair of Search Committee with questions about the position. Contact Katrina Oskie with questions about uploading your application.
back to top
Organization: Vancouver Civic Theatres back to top* postings updated as of November 27, 2013.
Job Location: Vancouver, BC
Application Deadline: January 7, 2014
The Cultural Services Division of the City of Vancouver invites applications for the position of Director of Vancouver Civic Theatres.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Cultural Services, the Director is responsible for general operations, operating and capital budget development, strategic planning, general administration, revenue generation, capital planning, and community relations of the City’s major performance venues, overseeing a team of 18 full time and 140 part-time professional, technical, customer service, and administrative staff. The annual operating budget is $6-7 million.
For a complete job description and details, click here. Interested applicants should submit application materials (a cover letter and resume with a list of references and salary requirements) in confidence to Margaret Genovese of Genovese Vanderhoof & Associates by January 7, 2014.