Internships and Fellowships in the Arts
Want to post a job announcement for your organization? Find out how.
No Fellowships posted at this time.
- American Repertory Ballet: New Brunswick, NJ
- CityDance: Tenleytown, DC
- The Dance Complex: Cambridge, MA
- Gibney Dance: New York, NY
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago: Chicago, IL
- Joffrey Ballet: Chicago, IL
- The Joyce Theater Foundation: New York, NY
- Mark Morris Dance Group: Brooklyn, NY
- Miami City Ballet: Miami Beach, FL
- Nashville Ballet: Nashville, TN
- New York City Ballet: New York, NY
- Richmond Ballet: Richmond, VA
- Urban Bush Women, Inc.: Brooklyn, NY
Internship Location: Tenleytown, DC
CityDance seeks to hire a Brand & Marketing Manager Intern for January - May 2017.
Qualified applicants will have the following:
- Interest in the arts.
- Strong grammar and proofreading skills.
- Basic design skills such as the ability to make a clean, inviting flier using Microsoft Word.
Day to day duties will include:
- Proofreading emails, web copy, and print materials.
- Scanning and organizing the archives.
- Creating informational fliers and gift certificates in Microsoft Word.
- Website updating.
- Long Term Project: creation of student discount fliers (for CityDance Season) in Photoshop with mentorship from Marketing Manager.
CityDance also seeks to hire a Public Relations/Social Media Intern for January - May 2017.
The qualified applicant will have the following:
- Interest in non-profits and the arts.
- Social media savvy.
- Pursuing a degree in Communication, Journalism, or Marketing.
Day to day duties will include:
- Post on social media outlets.
- Help draft press releases.
- Post calendar advisories.
- Attend Marketing Meetings and help with marketing campaigns.
- Grassroot marketing
- Long Term Project: create a social media plan that promotes CityDance's Capital Campaign and create a digital CityDance Press Kit.
Interested in either opportunity? Email Megan. back to top
The Dance Complex
Internship Location: Cambridge, MA
Each season, The Dance Complex offers several focused internship opportunities for students and young professionals seeking experience in the arts and arts administration. Interns will work within a dance community that brings accessible, artistic opportunities to dancers throughout the greater Boston area. All intern positions are designed for new professionals to kickstart their career in arts administration, marketing, programming, event planning, and/or dance production/operations.
In addition to assisting staff, interns may choose to plan and execute independent projects within the focus of their internship, formed from their own artistic and academic interests. Interns are compensated with free classes and rehearsal space at The Dance Complex to develop and refine their own dance experience.
All internships include assistance with general administrative responsibilities as well as time at the front desk reception each week to ensure that all interns have the opportunity to connect with our community members.
Internship applications are accepted on a rolling basis for the following seasons:
Fall (September - December)
Winter/Spring (January - May)
Summer (June - August)
Areas of focus:
Non-Profit Arts Administration
For more information click here. For questions please email Kara Fili.
back to top
Internship Location: New York, NY
Earn free dance classes with some of the field's most exciting teachers while gaining exposure to a fast-paced arts-administration environment at Gibney Dance! Through ongoing managerial support and feedback, as well as other professional development activities, our internship program strives to provide the next generation of arts and non-profit leaders the skills and knowledge necessary to advance to the most pressing issues facing their chosen fields today.
For more information on daily responsibilities, click here. To apply for a Center Internship, please send a resume and brief statement of interest with the subject line: “Center Internship, Your Name” here.
back to top
Hubbard Street Dance ChicagoInternship Location: Chicago, IL
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago offers rich and stimulating
internship opportunities for college and graduate students seeking experience
in administration, artistic administration, videography, lighting, education,
development, and marketing. Hubbard Street provides interns interested in dance
and arts management the experience of working behind the scenes in one of the
world’s leading contemporary dance companies. Interns work with Hubbard
Street’s administrative and artistic staff to build knowledge, experience, and
confidence in arts management. Interns have the opportunity to work at the theater
when the company is performing in Chicago’s Harris Theater for Music and Dance,
and see company performances. While these positions do not offer any financial
compensation, unless otherwise noted, all interns are welcome to take an
unlimited number of free classes at the Lou Conte Dance Studio. For more information click here.
Applicants for the Hubbard Street Internship Program
- Have completed at least one year of college
- Be available for a minimum of twenty hours per week
- Possess strong written and verbal skills
- Be knowledgeable of Microsoft Office programs
- Have excellent communication and organizational skills
- Possess the ability to work independently with minimal
supervision in a fast-paced environment
- College credit is available as arranged by your college
or university. Internships are offered for semester, full-year and summer
Applicants interested in the Hubbard Street Internship
Program must submit the following materials:
- Completed Internship Application Form
- Cover Letter
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Please send all materials to:
Krista Ellensohn, Manager of Pre-Professional Programs
1147 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60607
No phone calls please! back to top
Internship Location: Chicago, IL
The Joffrey Ballet seeks an summer intern for its Joffrey Academy of Dance. The Academy Intern is primarily responsible for assisting with special projects and day to day operations related to the Joffrey Academy of Dance. This individual works directly with the Academy Managing Director and the Joffrey Academy staff on all projects. This position also interfaces regularly with the Academy Artistic Directors, all full-time and part-time faculty involved in the educational programs, and occasionally interfaces with staff in the other departments at the Joffrey. The Academy Intern assists at Academy performances, productions and auditions and more.
- Complete research projects for the Academy
- Assist with all summer intensive final presentation performances
- Update written materials and forms
- Categorize paperwork for summer intensive students
- Assist Academy staff with day-to-day operations, including: organizing summer nametags, attendance, and check-in students; creating memos and flyers to help advertise classes, promotions, and more; helping to prepare for meetings and events by organizing materials, taking RSVPs, coordinating with facilities manager to prepare the space; assisting with events throughout the summer, as needed; managing summer intensive lunches.
The Academy Intern position is a part-time, unpaid opportunity. Interns receive complimentary open classes at the Joffrey Academy of Dance, and the opportunity to see Academy and Company performances. School credit can be arranged for current university students.
This is a 20-24 hours per week during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM) internship that runs from May through August 2016.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter.
back to top
The Joyce Theater FoundationInternship Location: New York, NY
The programming department of The Joyce Theater seeks an Arts Administration/Programming Intern for the spring semester. Candidates should be current undergraduate/graduate students interested in performing arts administration. The intern will assist members of the department with various tasks including preparations for our Joffrey Ballet engagement at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center, research projects, producing and special event initiatives, artist services, database maintenance, preparation for the 17-18 season, and more. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Heather McCartney and should indicate interest in a programming department internship in the subject line of the email message to distinguish from other internships here at The Joyce. This unpaid internship will be part- or full-time, depending on availability of the candidate.
back to top
Mark Morris Dance Group
Internship Location: Brooklyn, NY
The Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) is seeking qualified undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent graduates interested in gaining Arts Administration experience. Internships are currently available in these areas of concentration: Development, Education, Marketing, Operations, and Dance for PD.
While internships are typically based within one department, participants will get a broad view of the overall workings of the organization through their involvement with various special projects and events.
- Superb attention to detail and time management skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills (English)
- Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, and general internet proficiency
- Ability to act responsibly, reliably, and efficiently within an office environment
- Interest in working in the dance, music, theater, or performing arts industry
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Unlimited dance classes at the Mark Morris Dance Center
- Access to Wellness Center fitness equipment and mat area
- Discounted Master Classes, workshops, and pre-professional intensives (subject to availability)
- $10/hour subsidized studio rental rate
- Discount on premium dancewear and MMDG merchandise in The Store
- Discount at neighborhood Community Perks partners
Please email questions.back to top
Miami City Ballet
Internship Location: Miami Beach, FL
Miami City Ballet (MCB) is currently seeking interns to join our Development team for the 2015 Fall semester. Interns will assist with all elements of development, including special events, donor records, cultivation, and administrative support. MCB interns must be curious, organized, attentive to detail, and prepared to arrive daily with a positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic team and develop a well-rounded perspective of the administrative side of an arts-focused nonprofit organization.
Development Team Intern Responsibilities Include:
- Work with Special Events Manager to plan and execute MCB events. Specific tasks might include: vendor and sponsor research, assisting in the inventory management of events materials, taking part in event activation in posts such as registration and check-in, accompanying Events Manager on site walk-throughs, and helping with general organization. The ability to work some nights and weekends is required. An interest in photography and social media is a plus.
- Assist Grants team with data entry and aggregation of performance and outreach program satisfaction surveys.
- Work with the Membership Manager to ensure that member benefits and acknowledgements are being provided and act as support for in-house mailings.
This is an unpaid internship, and all students must receive college credit. To apply, please send your resume and a short summary of why you would make a great addition to the MCB team via email.
MCB is also seeking a Special Events Intern as well as a Membership Intern. See the respective descriptions below.
The Special Events Intern will work with the Department as a whole to plan and execute Signature MCB Events. MCB special events interns must be outgoing, proactive, detail oriented, and prepared to arrive each day with a positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude. Special Events Intern responsibilities include:
- Assist with the design, coordination and production of MCB events, including the 30th Anniversary Gala.
- Track VIP RSVP lists and act as a point person for donors at registration.
- Coordinate and assemble gifts for applicable events – possible items to include sponsored gift bags and autographed MCB merchandise.
- Collaborate with the team to ensure donor fulfillment packages and recognition are carried out.
- Draft descriptions for events to be submitted for press coverage on the MCB website and subsequent publications.
- Identify and grow relationships with new and existing sponsors and vendors.
- Assist the Development staff with coordinating and implementing fundraising initiatives.
Interested applicants should email their resume and a short summary of why you would make a great addition to the MCB Development team. This is an unpaid internship. Academic credit can be arranged.
MCB's Development Department also seeks a Membership Intern. As part of this group, you will assist with the membership elements of development, including direct membership sales, member events, donor records, cultivation efforts, and administrative support. Membership Intern responsibilities include:
- Work with the Membership Manager to plan and execute membership initiatives. Specific tasks might include: venue and sponsor research, event activations in posts such as registration and check-in, site walk-throughs, and general organization.
- Help staff the Welcome Table at performances and be responsible for membership solicitations. Assist in strategizing effective use of the Welcome Table.
- Assist with administrative duties; to include member acknowledgement letters, renewal letters and other collateral.
- Work with the Membership Manager to ensure that member benefits and acknowledgements are being provided and act as support for mailings.
- The ability to work some nights and weekends is required. An interest in marketing and social media is a plus.
Interested applicants should email their resume and a short summary of why you would make a great addition to the MCB Team. This is an unpaid internship. Academic credit can be arranged.
back to top
Nashville BalletInternship Location: Nashville, TN
Nashville Ballet operates using earned revenue (60%) and contributed revenue (40%). As an intern in the Development Department, you will be immersed in the challenges and successes of raising contributed revenue. From assisting with planning and facilitating special events, working with data to track and strategize upcoming efforts, or researching potential individual, corporate or foundation prospects for future partnerships, you will be critical in keeping Nashville Ballet’s contributed income healthy and sustainable.
Click here for a complete description and instructions on how to apply.
back to top
New York City Ballet
Internship Location: New York, NY
The New York City Ballet's (NYCB) Membership Department seeks an enthusiastic and responsible individual who has a strong interest in development, patron relations, database management, and research to serve as the Department's Membership Intern for the Winter and/or Spring Season.
Responsibilities will include:
- Patron relations: assisting patrons with annual membership renewal, correspondence through NYCB Member emails and responding when necessary, checking messages, referring calls to other departments, troubleshooting.
- Benefit Fulfillment: coordinating acknowledgments with Membership Assistant, mailing premiums, brochures, and welcome packages, maintaining stock of premiums and related materials.
- Sending out daily mail.
- RSVP lists for events and seminars.
- Database list management.
- Assisting with drafting and proofing of copy for acquisitions/appeals.
- Coordinating mass mailings with the Volunteer Department.
- Keeping supplies and forms replenished and stored.
- Assisting with printing and organizing invitations, letters and labels for mailings.
- Occasionally assisting with other needs or events for Patron Advancement, Corporate, and/or Special Events.
- Providing general administrative support to Development as needed.
The ideal intern will possess the following:
- A professional demeanor, attention to detail, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and problem-solve in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Database experience preferred (Tessitura, Raiser’s Edge, etc.).
This internship is unpaid. However, benefits include access to ballet performances and special events for patrons. Office dress is business casual during the business day and formal for Special Events. Desired time commitment is at least three full-time days per week with flexibility to schedule. Academic credit may be arranged. Interested applicants should email their resume with Membership Intern in the subject line.
NYC Ballet is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
back to top
Internship Location: Richmond, VARichmond Ballet
seeks a Digital & Graphic Design Intern. Job duties for this paid intern position include creating ads for newspaper and magazine, online ads, posters and counter cards. There are also design work requirements for the web, in-house patron mail in addition to compilation of performance programs and updating the website. The Digital & Graphic Design Intern also works closely with our Public Relations/ Content Manager to keep social media current as well as participate in promotional events and more. Current students and new graduates are encouraged to apply. Working knowledge of SEO and META DATA skills, Word Press, MailChimp, InDesign and PhotoShop are an advantage. For more information and to apply, click here.
back to top
Urban Bush Women Inc.
Internship Location: Brooklyn, NYUrban Bush Women Inc
. seeks an Office Management Intern. For more information and how to apply click here
back to top
* postings updated as of February 8, 2017.